Wednesday, November 3, 2010

WIP

Me. I am a work-in-progress. My Motherhood is a work-in-progress. Some days I think I've got it all figured out; I'm Super Mom! Other days, I call my husband at work for moral support because everything has gone horribly wrong. The kids are all crying. I'm crying. All I can think is that God must have gotten it horribly wrong. Me a mom? Seriously? 3 kids? 3 young kids? But then I take it to Mary in prayer. When I doubt my own ability and the Father's plan for my Motherhood only the Mother of God can console me. And she does it such beautiful ways.

A couple of weeks ago, on one of those horrible days, Leo grabbed a book off the table. I yelled as he pulled out my bookmark and threw it on the floor. I shoved the bookmark into the book and hauled Mr. Grabbyhands off to time-out. Later, after I had calmed down and said a few prayers to the Virgin Mother, I opened the book to the page I had so hastily shoved my bookmark, a page that brought my little tantrum to a screeching halt. It talked about the philosophies that Maria Montessori and Edith Stein had about children and the formation of the human person. Nothing like the Father smacking you upside the head with a 2x4 to make you stop and think.

I must remember that my children are a gift from God. Even the bad days are worth every moment. How I handle things models to my children how they should handle themselves. No matter how many times I tell them to take a deep breath and use polite word in a polite, calm voice they will not listen if I do not use my own polite, calm voice. If I do not respect the dignity of my children and treat them with respect, how can I expect them to do the same?

I need to work on my consistency. Set rules and do a better job of enforcing them. I need to spend a little more time taking care of myself. Running after the dog (Jack Russel Terriers just don't listen) does not count as exercise. Leaning over the sink while I drain the pasta does not count as a facial. Eating the leftovers from the twin's lunch does not count as portion control. I need to keep working at what promises to be a life long process. Motherhood is wonderful, but a lot of work. A lot of work and a lot of wonderful reward!

No comments: